David's Scottish Ancestry

David Boswell Burns (1909-1990)

David Boswell Burns -1 was born 28 Mar 1909 in Kilmarnock, Ayr, Scotland.

"David Burns, 1909 March twenty eighth 9h30m p.m. 42 Old Mill Road Kilmarnock; M; James Burns Bricklayer (Jouryneyman) Agnes Burns M.S. Thomas 1909 February 5th Muirkirk; (Signed) James Burns Father; 1909 April 14th at Kilmarnock (Signed) Wm. Osborne Assist. Registrar (Initd.) H.W.S.; Extracted from the register Book of Births for the District of Kilmarnock in the county of Ayr the 24th day of February 1956.

He migrated to the United States with his mother Agnes Maxwell (Thomas) Burns in 1912 sailed from Glasgow, Scotland on the U.S.S. Hesperian and entered the Port of Quebec, Canada on 29 July 1912 she stated that the of the nearest relative whence came from was her father Michael Thomas Bridge St. Muirkirk, Scotland from the Port of Quebec she took the Grand Trunk Railway to Port Huron, St. Clair, Michigan entering there on 31 July 1912 where they entered the United States and her final destination was to be Chicago, Cook, Illinois. and this destination ticket was paid for by her husband James Easton Burns . She stated she was in possession of $11 and that she had never been in the United States before this date and that she was joining her husband James East Burns c/o Mrs. Ashcroft at 6453 St. Lawrence Avenue in Chicago, Cook, Illinois

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956.
Name: David Burns
Arrival Date: 29 Jul 1912
Port of Arrival: St Albans, Vermont, United States
Ship Name: Hesperian
Port of Departure: Glasgow, Scotland
Age: 3
Birth Date: abt 1909
Birth Country: Scotland
Gender: Male
Race/Nationality: Scottish (Scotish)
Record Type: Manifests.

quickview -

actual copy of passenger list

Social Security was enacted on enacted August 14, 1935, and the back of it showed that he then resided at 316 Lake Shore Dr. Culver, Ind. and that his employer was Jas. I. Barnes const. Co. the card was issued probably sometime afer late Novemeber 1926 as w by January 1, 1937, when workers would begin acquiring credits toward old-age insurance benefits. br>
By the 1940 census they were residing at 316 Lakeview Street in Culver

He petitioned for citizenship:

United States District Court of Northern Dist. of Indiana, Petition No. 12076, U.S. District Court of Northern Disct. of In., Hammond, Indiana. Duplicate (To accompany monthly report on Form 14-4) --- United States of America ---- Petition for Naturalization Np. 12076--- (Of a married person, under Sec 310(a) [ or 311 or 312] of the Nationality Act of 1940 (1144-1145). To the honorable ___ District Court of THE UNITED STATES of Hammond, Indiana __

[1] My full name: DAVID BOSWELL BURNS

[2] My present place of residence is: 419 S. Main St. Culver, Ind. And

[3] My occupation is: mason and

[4] I am 32 years old and I was born on March 25, 1909 at Kilmarnock, Scotland

[5] description is as follows: male; ___ white; complexion Fair; color of eyes Brown color; of hair brown; height 5 feet 9 inches; weight 180 pounds; visible distinctive marks none race white;

[6] personal nationality Scotland Brit.; ___

[7) I am ___married the name of my wife or ____ is Freda we were married Nov. 20, 1930 at Plymouth, Ind.; she was born at Fulton, Ind. on Nov. 20, 1911 entered the United States at__ on__ for permanent residence in the United States and now resides at with me and was naturalized on____ certificate No.____; or became a citizen at birth (7a]-------;

[7b] ------ [can't read).

[8] I have four children: and the name, res., date and place of birth and present place of residence of each said children
who is living are as follows:
    Eunice (f) July 9, 1930
    David (m) Dec. 8 1934
    Douglas [m] Feb. 12, 1937
    Betty (f) Nov. 21 1938
all born and reside in Culver, Ind.

[9] My last place of foreign residence was Kilmarnock, Scotland.

[10] I emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, Scotland.

[11] My lawful entry for the permanent residence in the United States was at Port Huron, Michigan under the name of David Burns on July 31, 1912 on the Grand Trunk Railway by the certificate of my arrival attached to this petition.

[12] Since my lawful entry for permanent residence I have not been absent from the United States for a period or periods of 4 months or longer as follows:

[13] (Declaration of intention not required)

[14] It is my intention in good faith to become a citizen of the United States and too renounce absolutely and forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty of whom or which at this time I am subject or citizen and it is my intention to reside permanently in the United States.

[15] I am not and have not been for the period of at least 10 years immediately proceeding the date of this petition ??and ___hist?? nor a believer in the unlawful damage, injury, or destruction of property or sabotage; nor a disbeliever in or opposed to organized government; nor a member of or affiliated with any organization or body of persons teaching disbelief in or opposition to organized government.

[16] I am able to speak the English language (unless physically unable to do so).

[17] I am and have been during all of the periods required by law, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States and well disposed to the good order and happiness of this petition, to wit ___ July 31, 1912

[19] I have not heretofore made petition for naturalization number ---on---at---in the---Court and such petition was dismissed or denied by that court for the following reasons and causes to wit:---and the cause of such dismissal or denial has since been ___ or removed

[20] Attached hereto and made a part of this, my petition for naturalization are a certificate of arrival from the Immigration and Naturalization ___ of my said lawful entry into the United States for permanent residence (if such certificate of arrival be required by the naturalization law), and the affidavits of at least two verifying witnesses required by law.

[21] Wherefore I, your petitioner for naturalization, pray that I may be admitted a citizen of the United States of America and that my name be changed to -----

[22] I aforesaid petitioner do swear (affirm) that I know the contents of this petition for naturalization subscribed by me that the same are true to the best of my own knowledge except as to matters therein stated to be alleged upon information and belief, and that as to those matters I believe them to be true and that this petition is signed by me with my full, true name SO HELP ME GOD. David Boswell Burns.

copy of actual petition

U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes B-652 11-332458
Family Name: Burns
Given name or names: David Boswell
Address: 419 So. Main St. Culver, Ind.
Certificate no. (or Vol. and page): P. 12076 CN-5627133.
Title and location of court: U. S. Dist. Hammond, Ind.
Country of birth or allegiance: Scotland.
When born (or age) Mar. 25, 1909.
Date and port of arrival in U.S.: July 31, 1912, Port Huron, Mich.
Date of Naturalization: Nov. 10, 1942.
Names and addresses of witnesses:
    Robert Lee Schall 527 So. Main St. Culver, Ind.
    Raymond Seese 719 No. Michigan Plymouth, Ind.
U. S. Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service Form N-335 (Old 1-IP) 16-17302

copy of index card

on dec. 10 1942 his final naturalization was given as follows:

Petition No. 12076

Personal description of holder as of date of naturalization: Age 33 years; sex: male; color: white; completion: fair; color of eyes brown; color of hair black; height 5 feet 9 inches; weight 185 pounds; visible distinctive marks: scar of the right hand; Marital status married; former nationality: (Scotch) British; I certify that the description above given is true and that the photograph affixed hereto is a likeness of me. David Boswell Burns (Complete and true signature of holder).

State of Indiana, County of Lake} SS Be it known, that at a term of the United States District Court of Northern Dist. of Ind. held pursuant to law at Hammond, Ind. on November 10, 1942 the Court having found that DAVID BOSWELL BURNS then residing at 419 S. Main St; Culver, Ind. intends to reside permanently in the United States (when so required by the Naturalization Laws of the United States), had in all other respects complied with the applicable provisions of such naturalization laws and was entitled to be admitted to citizenship, thereupon ordered that such person be and (s)he was admitted as a citizen of the United States of America.

In testimony where of the seal of the court is here unto affixed this 18th day of November in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and forty-two and of our Independence the one hundred and sixty seventh.

Margaret Long Clerk of the United States Dist., Court by Adele Anderson, Deputy Clerk

It is a violation of the U.S. Code and punishable as such to copy, print and photograph or otherwise illegally use this certificate.


His selective service card which is barely readable:

Registration Certificate - This is to certify that in accordance with the Selective Service Proclamation of the President of the United States - David Boswell Burns So. Main Culver State has been duly resgistered this 16 day of October __ . ___ W. _ea__ (Signature of Registar). Registrar for 2 (Precinct; ___ (Ward); Culver (City or county); Ind. (State). ___ ( Race); Height Approx.) 5-9; Weight (Approx) 185; Eyes Brown; Hair black; complextion dark

copy of front and back

A sign of the time during World War II was the rationing booklets booklet 1     Booklet 2     Booklet 3     Booklet 4 and     Booklet 5

He was appointed Special Deputy Sheriff for Marshall County, Indiana Under Harvey E. Phillips on 13 January 1967

Appointment as Special Deputy Sheriff.

KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS, That I Harvey Phillips, Sheriff in and for the County of Marshall, State of Indiana, do hereby constitute and appoint David B. Burns Sr., a special Deputy Sheriff for emergency duty at my call and under direction. Given under my hand and this 13 day of Jan. 1967 Harvey E. Phillips, Sheriff of Marshall County.

No. 42 Age: 58; Comp. Dark; Eyes: Blue: Hair: Gray: Height: 5-8; Weight 170.

OATH STATE OF INDIANA, MARSHALL COUNTY, SS: I David B. Burns Sr. swear that I will faithfully and impartially discharge my duties as Special Deputy Sheriff in and for said County and State according to law to my best ability, so help me God. David B. Burns.

Subscribed and sworn to before me, this 13th day of January 1967 Clyde C. McCollough, Clerk Marshall Circuit Court.

actual copy Card with oath, appoint & oath

In 1973 he retired from the Culer Union Fire Department:

Dave Burns retires as Culver fire Chief

Even though Dave Burns has retired as chief of the Culver-Union township volunteer fire department, he will remain with the department as a fellow-volunteer for a time.

"But I got a boat", he says with a grin, "an lots of fishing poles".

Burns who served 40 years with the department,including 30 years as chief, says he started out with 10 men and one truck, an old Republic. He joined the department in 1933, under chief Alfred Cromley. Burns served under two other chiefs, Art Fishburn and Carry Cummins, before becoming chief himself in 1943.

Of the 10 men he started with, Burns notes that only two - Kenny Bush and Charlie Asper - are alive to remember "the good old" days.

Burns says there weren't as many runs in the early days, but the fires were worse because they had a head start by the time the firemen got there. The department's equipment was limited; the firemen had no rope, but did have a hook and ladder and a hose cart and bucket wagon.

Burns was instrumental in building the department to its present capacity of 15 men, five trucks and equipment, including a radio system; resuscitator and other life-saving devices. The department begun as a town-financed group, but by 1935, Union Township had contracted with the town for services and the township today provides half the money for expenses.

What makes a good fireman? Burns believes "you have to have it in your blood".

Culver's Town Board, recognizing Burns as a good fireman, has extended its deep gratitude for his many years of "excellent service" to the department. Board members noted that his contributions to the saftey and welfare of the community are recogniized and deeply appreciated. - Plymouth Pilot

Chief Burns Retires

"We started out with ten men and one truck, an old Republic., " Dave Burns reminiiisced.

He has retired as Chief of the Culver-Union township Volunteer fire department, after thirty years as chief and forty years with the unit.

Dave joined the department in 1933, under Chief Alfred Cromley. He served under two men, Art Fishburn and Carry Cummins, before becominng Chief himself in 1943. Of the ten men, only two are still aliive to remember "the good old days" -- Kenny Bush and Charlie Asper.

"We never used to have as many runs", Dave remembers, "but the fires were worse -- they had a head start by the time we got there. TWe didn't have much equipment, either." They had no rope, but they had a hook and ladder, and a hose cart and bucket wagon.

The department began as a city-financed group, but by 1935, Union Township had conntracted with the townn for services,, and today provides half the money for expenses. Dave was instrumental in building the department to its present capacity of fifteen men, five trucks, and equipment including a radio system, resuscitator, and other life-saving devices.

What makes a good fireman? "You have to have it in your blood", Dave says. He will remain with the department as a fellow-volunteer for a time, but "I got a boat", he adds with a grin, "and lots of fishing poles".

The Board of Trustees of the Town of Culver has extended to Dave Burns their deep gratitude for his many years of excellent service to the Department. His contribution to the community safety and welfare is recongised and deeply appreciated. - Culver Citizen.

actual copies the Citizen and the Pilot

In 1989 he was chosen to be the Lakfest Grand marshall:

Named Lakefest Parade Grand Marshall

Culver’s Dave Burns takes a great deal of satisfaction just driving through Culver and around Lake Maxinkuckee. As a stone mason, Burns is considered the best in the area and points with pride at the many homes and buildings that contain his workmanship. Much of the work is done in native field stone, and at age 80, he still keeps his day filled with work.. The evenings, are reserved for fishing, however.

Dave was born in Kilmarnock, Scotland, in 1909 and came to the U.S. with his family at age 8, entering the country via the St. Lawrence River at Port Huron, Michigan.. They lived in Chicago until 1913, when his father met a man named James I. Barnes, who hired him to come to Culver to build the new riding hall at Culver Military Academy. He says that many people don't believe him when he says he started school in what was then the new Osborn Hotel. Second grade was held in a building at the northwest corner of Main and Washington Streets (now occupied by attorney Jim Easterday). By his third grade year, the school house was constructed where Culver Elementary is now and he went to school there.

By his sophomore year of high school, he noted that he was playing hooky more than going to school, and his father told him that he would have to choose between school and going to work. He chose work and started as an apprentice under his father.. The first building that he worked on was the Vandalia Railroad Station.. "He started me out building the chimney, which can be the most difficult part of bricklaying.", Burns said. "I'd build it up a little bit and kick it down. By 4:30 that afternoon I had it right. Dad was a perfectionist who always said "If you only lay two brick, lay it right."

Dave is an avid story teller, and could fill numerous volumes with is tales of growing up in Culver. He held a number of jobs in his early years, including jobs at all three ice houses, until 1937, which was the last year that they made ice.

He also worked on the Maxinkuckee steamers, which carried passengers and luggage from the town park to various points around the lake. He notes that the "Peerless" was sunk in the outlet bay not far from where the dry dock for the big boats was located. The boat was later pulled out of the water to reclaim the scrap iron. The "Neeswaugee" was also sunk in the same area, and the bottom half of the boat is still on the bottom. "The White Swan", which was a floating dancing pavillion, had no power of its own, and was pulled around the lake by one of the steamers. That boat was eventually dismantled and the lumber used to build the apartments located near the beach on Pearl Street.

Burns says that he recalls working in the park turning train engines on a large turnstyle at the east edge of the park. "It took ten people, and we each got a nickel an engine", he said.. He worked at the Culver Academies off and on for 62 years, and his first job was a a bus boy at the mess hall. He is a member of the Odd Fellows, and "went through all the chairs", when they were still meeting in Culver.

In addition, he was a member of the Culver Fire Department for 49 years and was Fire Chief for 28 years.

Dave has nine children, all of whom live either in Culver or not to far away. One of them Eunice Schrimsher, has also been given the distinction of being a Lakefest Parade Grand Marshall. Others are David, Helen (Norman), Betty (Rosenbaum), Nancy (Jiminez), Doug, Rick and David and Susie, at home. - - 21 Jun 1989 Culver Citizen

LakeFest grand marshal long time Culver mason
by David Horn P-N Staff Writer
Nearly everyone in Culver knows and likes Dave Burns.. He's been around since most folks can remember, always doing the same thing -- laying bricks or carving and setting stone, or fishing.

Town officials have decided to honor Burns this summer, naming him Grand Marshall of the 1989 LakeFest Parade in July. Burns has lived in Culver for 75 years of his 80 years. "Our family came over from Scotland when I was three," he said this week in an interview. "My Dad was in construction, and we moved to Chicago. But then he got connected with James I Barnes at Culver Academy and came down to help work on the riding hall. We've been here ever since."

Well, not quite ever since, Burns played hooky from school so much that his Dad laid down the law, Go to school, or go to work! Burns decided to work, and began helping laying bricks on the "new" railroad station in towns. "My Dad had a motto. Do it right, or don't do it at all.. I'd build the chimney, and he'd knock it down, over and over again. By late afternoon, I finally got the message." After several years as an apprentice bricklayer, Burns left Culver to go "wherever the best money was." He worked as far away as Quebec, Canada and Corpus Christi, Texas. "Eventually I came back to Culver", he said , "and got connected with stonemason Buddy Banks.. After that, I did mostly stone work." Two or three hundred of the cottages around Culver show signs of Burns' handiwork. Not to mention 800 feet of stone wall he constructed at Culver Military Academy. He worked for the Academy - - on and off - - for over sixty years, starting in the mess hall "as a kid' and officially retiring in 1973 as supervisor of masonry maintenance. But he never stopped working. He's still busy helping friends with masonry projects.

Burns has been more than a master builder. "I was on the Culver Fire Department for 48 years" --- nearly half-a-century --- "and served as chief for almost 30 of them. I finally gave it up, though. Figured they could use some younger blood"

He remembers those early fires "mostly barn fires, when folks would put in green hay and combustion would result. Some of he buildings at the Academy burned too and of course there were the ice houses".

Culver once had three ice houses on the shores of Lake Maxinkuckee. "When I was a youngster, maybe 12 or 13, I was a switcher in one of those houses, directing where the incoming blocks should be stored. After ice was cut from the lake and packed in the houses, we'd put six feet of marsh hay (not regular hay) over it and it would remain solid until summer.

"Once it got warm, we'd load maybe twenty boxcars full of ice and sent them off to places like Fort Wayne, Chicago, or Logansport." Didn't those frozen block start to melt in the rolling boxcars? "Funny thing they, never did," Burns insisted. "But we stopped cutting ice here in 1937, because so many people were getting refrigerators.

One ice house burned in the summer of 1925, and a second in 1942. They really weren't needed any more."

Nobody can say that about Dave Burns. He's needed in Culver now as much as ever before, to remind folks that a man's life is measured by what he does, not what he says.

Burns took his Dad's advice. "Do it right, or don't do it at all". His legacy, like the chimney on the old railroad station, has stood the test of time.

NOTE: Under a picture: Burns grand marshal -- "See the chimney on that railroad station behind me? I built it when I was 15 years old, and my Dad knocked it down several time until I got it exactly right", said Dave Burns, a stone mason who's been named grand marshal of the summer’s Lakefest Parade in Culver. -- 16 Jun 1989 Plymouth Pilot

actual copies of the the articles - culver Citizen; Plymouth Pilot and mews paper Photo from the parade; my photos of the parade

He died 23 Aug 1990 in Plymouth, Marshall, Indiana from Acute Myocardial Infraction and was buried 27 Aug 1990 in Culver Masonic Cemetery, Culver, Marshall, Indiana.

Indiana State Death Certificates, pp. 90-031256.
David B. Burns, male, 02:50 p.m., August 23, 1990
81, Mar. 28, 1909
Kilnarnock Scotland
Not veteran
Hospital ER Holy Cross Parkview Plymouth, Marshall, Indiana
married, Judith E. McKee
concrete mason, Indiana Marshall Culver 419 S. Main Street 46511
Father: James E. Burns.
Mother: Agnes M. Thomas.
Informant: Judith E. Burns 419 S Main St. Culver Indiana 46511 wife.
Burial: Aug. 27, 1990 Culver Masonic Cemetery Culver Indiana.
James D. Bonine FDE 1012802, FH 83001279 Bonine Funeral Home, Inc. 104 Lakeshore Dr. Culver In. 46511.
Michael Deery M.D. 20772 8-27-90 921 Lakeshore Dr. Culver Indiana 46511
Health Office: James S. Robertson M.D. August 30, 1990
Issued Feb. 1, 1991

Marshall County Death Certificates
Marshall County Board of Health Plymouth Indiana Certificate of Death Registration.
This certifies, that according to the records of the Marshall County Health Department
Name: David B. Burns
died August 23, 1990
at 2:50 p.m. Holy Cross Parkview Hospital Plymouth, In.
Age at death: 81.
Sex: male. Color: White.
Signed by Dr. Michael Deery M.D.
Place of burial or removal: Culver Masonic Cemetery Culver, In.
Date of burial: August 27, 1990. Bonine Funeral Home Culver, In.
Record filed: August 30, 1990 Certificate No. 90-214 Book 1990 page 214.
James S. Robertson M.D. Issued August 30, 1990."

David was a "True artist" in stone he left a legacy of work around Culver in his stone and brick work. He was an all "around mason" working in cement, stone, brick, stucco, tile.

In the late spring of 1990 he took a job in Plymouth that he thought was to be the "golden oppertunity" and put us ahead financially for awhile but it turned out in essence to be a nightmare and just the opposite. He promised our son that he could work for him on it and during the coming months instead he kept finding excuse for him not to work with him needless to say little David was extremely disappointed tho never expressed it to either his father or me, but you could see the disaapointment each time his dad in essence told him no. I never fully understood the reasoning until after his death I guess I was naive and did not pick up on the the clues that was there.

The job was not any more complicated than ones he had done before and with it being was architecturally sketched out and planned out to the last minute detail including landscaping plants which was not part of his duties - what this cost I do not know but I do know it was not cheap but it was worthless as the wife was constantly changing items of it.

David had laid hundreds on brick walks over the years but I have never seen him do the things he did just to keep her mouth shut - he had the help at each others throat as well as his they did as he had taught them to do “perfection” in work yet he turned around and done the opposite. He and the help would spend hours laying out the brick in the pattern suited for the coloring of the brick, the curves etc. only for the “mistress “of the property to return home and have him tear it all out and relay it per her instructions. If he left the job site for any reason the bouys would continue working do the work as he had taught them over the years; and all during this job he and the help was at odds over the work because the way he was doing it just to please her and keep her quite and hopely happy; by the time the job was complete nothing was done according to the original architectural plans they had presented David with and he was to abide by.

He finally was able to get the sidewalk portion of the project completed and get away or rather escape from the job and he came back to Culver and Lake Maxinkuckee to do some work for Leon Bennett for cottagers he would do any job for him and small jobs for other cottager just not to go back to Plymouth

They had decided that they wanted the drive-way re-done which was to have been a part of the original project but had opted out because of the cost involved before he even started that project but sometime time during the sidewalk installation project they decided that they would have him do it. They kept calling for the driveway portion of the project and he kept making excuses as to why he could not return to the do it immediately as they demanded.

He truthfully did not want to go back and do the job because of the wife but he could not tell them no either - the money involved was to tempting to him tho because of the changes, the paying for all the materials and miscellaneous items, travel expenses back and forth to Plymouth and the eating out ate up what was to be the profits.

I do know the his demeanor changed totally because of this job to the worse - he had quit taking his heart medicine completely because of it as he had not taken it for 60 days when he had died. I do blame the job almost fully for his death because I think he would of been taking his medication at least most of the time tho he did not like to take it. When Dr. Derry asked him if he was taking it daily her told him "Yes" and if I said anything to the contrary he later would take it out on me for speaking out and telling him he was not. For some reason he always insisted I be present at the doctors office calls.

I dubbed her the “bitch on roller skates” but I had never told David. And after she read of David’s death instead of trying to contact me she called the oldest daughter Eunice and demanded the last payment for the sidewalk project. back and Eunice in turn called me demanding that I return the money no questions asked - which I told her it was already spent and that she did not know any of the details about the job, the expenses that were involved and that I was not returning money that her dad had already spent it on bills related to the job and that there were still some bills outstanding. Returning it would of meant not paying our personal bills and all the work he done would have been done for “free”.

I personally think to this day that if he had not taken the job he would have been around longer – how much longer I do not know because he always told me and others “Something’s not right” but he would not confide in or tell Dr. Deery and he would lie to him about taking his medication properly even tho it showed up it the blood work - the last office visit David lucked out if you would call it that because the last office visit which had just been 2 weeks prior to his death in that the machine to do his blood test was not working properly to test the level of Digoxin [is a purified cardiac glycoside extracted from the foxglove plant, Digitalis lanata It is widely used in the treatment of various heart conditions, namely atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter and sometimes heart failure that cannot be controlled by other medication] in his system.

Of course the day he died he came home and took it promptly thinking it would help – but it had to be taken on a daily basis and at a certain level to be of any effect. There was no way no one person was going to force a man of his size to take his medicine properly and on a daily basis - at times he would "make it known" to me that he had teken it in a mocking sort of way - the times he done that I would tell him that "He was not hurting me or anyone else - he was only hurting himself but refusing to take the medication properly." I made sure that he had it; filling it immediately upon him taking the last pill and making sure that it always stayed in the same location so he knew were it was.

and his obituaries and death notices:


Well known Culver citizen David B. Burns, 81, was taken to his final resting palce at Culver Masonic Cemetery on a Culver-Union Township Fire Department engine, as was befitting a former chief.

He was laid to rest in a plot marked by a heart-shaped tombstone that he had built himself.

His funeral took place Monday afternoon in Grace United Church of Christ, with the Rev. Donald Wagner, pastor, officiating. The sanctuary was overflowing with relatives and friends.

Mr. Burns, of 419 South Main Street, Culver, died at 2:50 p.m. last Thursday at Holy Cross Parkview Hospital, Plymouth.

He had suffered a heart attack.

"There are many stories to tell of this prominent man," said Wagner in his eulogy. He told some of them.

"David Burns came to Culver with his mother and father in 1915 when he was six years old. He learned the trade of masonry from his father.

When he and his father were laying the brick for the railroad depot, Dave would lay it, and his father would take it back - - until he got it right," related the minister.

"Then there was his love of fishing and the lake. Dave always had a lot of fish stories. He was one of the first one to put a line on the ice and one of the last to take a line out in the spring." continued the pastor. "Then he called and fed ducks every day. It is said he even taught some parrots to quack" said Wagner.

Then he concluded by saying "David has taught us all something about living. And he has left this world a better place by having been here."

Mr. Burns was born to the late Agnes M. Thomas and James E. Burns in Kilnarnock, Scotland, on March 28, 1909. He had lived in Culver since 1915, coming from Chicago.

He was a concrete mason, self-employed at the time of his death. Most of his life he was employed at Culver Military Academy, retiring from there in 1974.

He had also been employed by Barnes Construction Company.

Mr. Burns was Culver-Union Township Fire Department chief from 1943-73.

He had been a member of the fire department beginning in 1933.

He had been a Marshall County deputy sheriff and also served as deputy Marshall in Culver.

He formerly belonged to the Marshall County and Indiana State Fireman's Association.

He was a member of Maxinkuckee International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge No. 373.

In 1989 Mr. Burns was honored by being selected as grand marshal of the Lakefest Parade.

He married Frieda Reed on February 22, 1930. She died in 1961. On January 1, 1977 he married Judith McKee. She survives.

Other survivors are four sons, David M. Burns of Culver, Douglas K. Burns of Plymouth, Rickey A. Burns of Lafayette and David B. Burns of Culver; five daughters Eunice Schrimsher of Culver, Betty Rosebaum of Hanna, Nancy Jiminez of Culver, Helen Norman of Arkon and Susie Burns of Culver; 30 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.

Two brothers preceded him in death.

Funeral arrangements were handled by Bonine Funeral Home.

Memorial contributions were requested by the family to be made to the Lake Maxinkuckee Environmental Association or the Culver-Union Township Emergency Medical Service. - Culver Citizen, pg. 21 , 29 Aug 1990 actual copy

Culver - David B. Burns, 81, husband of Judith McKee Burns Indianapolis Star, pg. __ Indiana Deaths, 25 Aug 1990 - actual copy

Culver loses active citizen with death of David Burns - - Culver - David B. Burns, 81, 419 S. Main, Culver, died 2:50 p.m. Thursday, at Holy Cross Parkveiw Hospital, Plymouth, following a sudden illness. Born March 28, 1909, at Kilmarnock, Scotland, he lived in Culver since 1915, moving from Chicago. Burns was honored by the Culver in 1989 for his contribution to the community with his selection as grand marshal of the Culver Lakefest Parade. A concrete contractor, he retired from Culver Military Academy in 1974 and had worked for J. I. Barnes Construction Company. He was a member of Maxinkuckee International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge and the American Association of Retired Persons. Mr. Burns was a former member of the Culver-Union Township Fire Department and was chief for 30 years, serving in that position from 1943 through 1973. He was a former member of Marshall County and Indiana State Fireman's Association. He also served previously as a deputy sheriff of Marshall County and deputy town marshal of Culver. He was first married on Feb. 22, 1930 to Frieda Reed, who preceded him in death in 1961. He then married Judith McKee on Jan. 12, 1977, she survives. Also surviving are five daughters: Eunice Schrimsher, Nancy Jimenez and Susie Burns all of Culver, Betty Rosebaum of Hanna and Helen Norman all of Akron; four sons: David M. Burns and David B. Burns of Culver, Douglas K. Burns of Plymouth and Rickey A. of Lafayette; 30 grandchildren; and 17 great-grandchildren. Two brother preceded him in death. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Monday, at Culver Grace United Church of Christ. The Rev. Donald Wagner, pastor of the church will officiate. Burial will follow at Culver Masonic Cemetery. Friends may call at Bonine Funeral Home, Culver, from 2 to 8 p.m.. Saturday; 10 a..m. to 8 p.m. Sunday and Monday from 9 a.m. to noon and at the church until the time of services. The family requests that memorial contributions be made to the Lake Maxinkuckee Environmental Association or the Culver-Union Township Emergency Medical Service." - Plymouth Pilot News, pg. __ , 24 Aug 1990 actual copy

David B. Burns --- March 28, 1909-Aug. 23, 1990

Culver -- Services for David B. Burns, 81, of 419 S. Main St., who died at 2:50 p.m. Thursday at Holy Cross Parkview Hospital, Plymouth, will be at 2 p.m. Monday at Culver Grace United Church of Christ.

Burial will be in Culver Masonic Cemetery. Friends may all from 2 to 8 p.m. today; 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday; 9 a.m. to noon Monday at Bonine Funeral Home and one hour prior to services at the church.

Memorial contributions may be made to Lake Maxinkuckee Environmental Association or Culver-Union Twp. Emergency Medical Services.

Mr. Burns was a self-employed mason. He was born March 28, 1909 in Kilnarnock, Scotland, coming to Culver in 1915 from Chicago.

On Feb. 22, 1930 he married Frieda Reed. She died in 1961. On. Jan. 12, 1977, he married Judith McKee. She survives with five daughters: Eunice Schrimsher, Nancy Jimenez and Susie Burns, all of Culver, Betty Rosebaum of Hanna and Helen Norman of Akron; four sons: David M. and David B., both of Culver, Douglas K. of Plymouth and Rickey A. of Lafayette; 30 grandchildren; and 17 great-grandchildren.

He retired from Culver Military Academy in 1974 and had been employed by Barnes Construction Co.

He was a member of the Culver Fire Department from 1933 to 1973, serving as chief from 1943 to 1973 and was a former member of Marshall Co. and Indiana State Fireman's Association. He was a member of Maxinkuckee IOOF Lodge 373 and was grand marshall of the 1989 Culver Lakefest Parade. He was a former deputy sheriff and deputy Culver Marshall . South Bend Tribune, pg. __ Indiana Deaths, 25 Aug 1990 the actual copy and the bookmark.

the thank yous for the Plymouth and culver citizen and the funeral bill

David married (1-MRIN:5185) Freda Marquise Reed-5, daughter of Calvin Marion Reed-13 and Tressie Richards-14 (MRIN:5237), on 20 Feb 1930 in Plymouth, Marshall, Indiana. Freda was born 20 Nov 1911 in Fulton, Fulton, Indiana. She died 4 Aug 1961 in Culver, Marshall, Indiana and was buried 7 Aug 1961 in Culver Masonic Cemetery, Culver, Marshall, Indiana.; 7 children

Her obituaires are found as:

Mrs. Freida BURNS, 49, Culver, died at 10:45 p.m. Friday in her home after an illness of five weeks. She was the wife of David BURNS, Sr., Culver fire chief.

Born in Fulton county on Nov. 20, 1911, she moved to Culver in 1927.

Surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Eunice SCHRIMSHER, Mrs. Betty ROSEBAUM and Mrs. Nancy RAINEY, all of Culver, and Helen [BURNS], at home; three sons, David [BURNS], Jr. and Douglass [BURNS], Culver; Rickey [BURNS], at home; her father, Calvin M. REED, Culver; a sister, Mrs. Ruth FISHER, Pittsburgh; two brothers, Ira REED, Culver, and Cecil REED, Louisville, Ky., and seven grandchildren.

Rites will be Monday at 2 p.m. in the Easterday funeral home with the Rev. Charles HANEY officiating. Burial will be in the Culver Masonic cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home. - - Rochester Sentinel Saturday, 5 August 1961. Rochester Sentinel

Mrs, Freida Burns, Age 49, Dies Suddenly

Wife Of Local Fire Chief

Mrs. Freida Burns, age 49, wife of Culver Fire Chief David Burns, died at 10:45 p.m. Friday, Aug. 4, at her home at 419 S. Main St., Culver, after an illness of five weeks.

Mrs. Burns was born Nov. 20, 1911, at Fulton and moved with her family to Culver in 1927. On Feb. 20, 1930 she was married to David Burns, Sr., who survives.

Also surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Eunice Schrimsher, Mrs. Betty Rosebaum, and Mrs. Nancy Rainey, all of Culver, and Hel.en, at home; three sons, David Jr. and Douglas of Culver arid Rickey at home; her father, Calvin M. Reed, Culver; a sister, Mrs. Ruth Fisher, Pittsburgh, Pa,; two brothers, Ora Reed, Culver, and Cecil Reed, Louisville, Ky.; and seven grandchildren.

Services were held at 2 p.m. Monday. Aug. 7, at the Easterday Funeral Home. Rev. Charles L. Haney officiated and burial wus made at the Culver Masonic Cemetery. - - Culver Citizen, 9 Aug 1961.

David married (1-MRIN:5185) was not married said to have had a son

A family member remembers the envelope her mother yelling and screaming at them to go get the papers and read about the brother they had - Freda had directed them to get and read the papers within from a buffet drawer or from under it but their dad stopped them and told Freda to shut up and keep her mouth quite.

The rememberance the envelope is as being long narrow but thick in content and taped shut. Her father had come in late one night when this incident took place; they were sent to bed and the agreement ensued between David and Freda.

The family member was 10 or 11 at the time which would place it thee time of seeing the envelope in 1954-56 depending upon the time of year.

Eunice wrote of this - "he must be around Doug or David's age. Orphans home in Illinois somewhere contacted her father and that he had a son and wanted to know if he would adopt him. That adoption/relinquishing for adoption papers came to the house in the late 1940's or early 1950's from somewhere in Illinois Eunice [David's oldest daughter] has been interested in finding him for years and enlisted my help to try and locate him - but with adoptions of this period being 'closed" or 'sealed' permenately to protect the individual parties no one could gain access to them. And with the Whom what, when and where's missing - it was impossible. she refused to aske her dad about the papers and if they still exisit or if she would tell him the needed information - I felt it was not my place to ask him for her - that if she wanted this information it was her place to confront her father.

The little clues she provided whether correct or inaccurate are:
    1 - that it was to be by some woman who worked at the Palmer Hotel in Chicago where Mike (David's brother worked)

    2 - the child was a son

    3 - he must be around Doug or David's age 1935-1938

    4 - that he was in an Orphans home in Illinois somewhere

    5 - that someone had contacted her father and that he had a son and wanted to know if he would adopt him

    6 - adoption papers came to the house in the late 1940's or early 1950's from somewhere in Illinois

other clues - again whether correct or inaccurate have sufaced:
    1 - Another outside the family stated that it was by some Seller's woman of the Delong, Leiters Ford area

    2 - A close friend who retired from Culver Military Academy and neighboring firefighter said that David stated that he had a child in Chicago, Illinois but would give no other details.

more recent clues are proived by the census reports taken every ten years:
    1 - Freda was listed at home a single with her parents on the 1930 census

    2 - Mike and David was not of the 1930 census with their parents

    3 - Neither Mike nor david can be found on the 1930 census anywhere in the United Satate

    4 - David Was found on the 1940 census with his family in Culver, Indiana

    5 - Mike is found in the 1940 census with his family in Miami Beach, Flordia and the daughter was born in flordia about 1938

    6 - Mike enlisted in the Army on 18 December 1943; place of enlistment unknown

I think that Eunice always though or believed I was not truthfull about that I could never find anything out about him. But without the copies of adoption papers that were purported to exist wna the WHO, WHERE, WHEN missing I doubt if any clues of this child will ever be found and its adoption will never be proven or disproven to have existed; unless he or a family member of his adoptive side or member of his birth mother starts seeking infromation on the biolgical father.

I also believe that she was under the assupmtion that I woulf brooch her father on the subject - but if he wanted me know of it he would of told me - I felt that it was he place to confront her father for the details of this subject and not me. That I know of she never ever attempeted to do so.

Also it is my firm belief that if those adoption papers did exist that David destroyed them in some manner soon after Freda died. and if he did not destroy them there is only one other logical place he possible "hide" them - he could of possible tucked them into the casket sometime before it was sealed. The only legal papers that existed were his birth certificate, his naturalization certificate and the deed to their cemetery plot and to the plot of a grandchild. It is my opinion that he did not want their contents known to his family even tho he told a friend of "having a boy in Chicago"

Reasons for not being able to locate this child:

    1 - he could be deceased by now as becasue if the estimation on birth date Eunice gives of 1935 - 1938 be 74-77 years old.

    2 - he has no knowledge that he had been adopted

    3 - he has or had no desire to find his birth father for various unknown reasons

Eunice also enlisted the help of another as proven by GenForum Burns message board:

    Son of David Boswell Burns-Illinois

    Posted by: Connie Van Horn Date: October 20, 1999 at 09:06:58 2022 of 11351

    My friend Eunice Burns Schrimsher is looking for her half brother who was adopted in Illinois from an orphan home. The father would have been David Boswell Burns of Culver, IN and the mother worked at the old Palmer Hotel in Chicago. The half brother would have been born between 1935 and 1938. Dave Burns brother Michael Thomas Burns also worked at the Palmer Hotel during this time. Culver Citizen, pg. 9, Wednesday April 2, 1997. " Any information would be deeply appreciated. Connie Van Horn Followups" No Followups yet:

David also married (3-MRIN:5132) Helen Durkot-6, daughter of Anthony Durkot-38 and Annastasia Czincanias-39 (MRIN:5217), on Nov 1961 in , Marshall, Indiana. The marriage ended in divorce. Helen was born 1 May 1913 in Laporte, Laporte, Indiana. She died 29 May 1997 in Hammond, Lake, Indiana and was buried 1997 in Culver Masonic Cemetery, Culver, Marshall, Indiana. Their was no children by this marriage.

Former resident Helen D. Burns, 83, 1900 Andrew Avenue, LaPorte, died at 6:20 p.m. March 29, in LaPorte Hosptial, Mrs. Burns was a former dietary aide at the Culver Military Academies.

The daughter of Anthony Durko and Annastasia Czicanies was born on May 13, 1913, in Hammond. In 1987 she married Chares Best, ne died in 1944. In 1946 she married John M. Altman, he died in 1959. On November 19, 1961, she married David B. Burns, They were later divorced.

Survivors include her daughter, Jeanne, Janoweziyk New Carlisle; her son Arlo A., Overland Park, Kans.; six grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; hersister Jeanne RIchards, Cincinnat and her brother, Steve Durkett of Toledo, Ohio. Two brothers preceded her in death.

The Funeral will be at 10- p.m. today at Bonine Funeral Home with the Rev. Wayne McAllister, pastor of Grace United Church of Christ, officiating. Burial will be in Culver Masonic Cemetery.

Memoiral contributions may be made to the Alzheimers Disease and Realted Disorders Association. Culver Citizen, pg. 9, Wednesday April 2, 1997.

Social Security Death Index.
Name: Helen D. Burns
SSN: 303-14-5308
Last Residence: 46350 La Porte, La Porte, Indiana, United States of America
Born: 1 May 1913
Died: 29 Mar 1997
State (Year) SSN issued: Indiana (Before 1951).

David also married (4-MRIN:3529) Judith Elaine Mc Kee-2, daughter of Alvin Robert Mc Kee -11 and Reba Doris Emery-12 (MRIN:3533). There were 2 children by this marriage.

Today is